Grand Theft Auto 6 AKA “GTA 6” has been on gamers’ minds for a long time now, and for good reason. The GTA series has been one of Rockstar Games’ longest-running series, dating all the way back to 1997 when the original GTA was released. And now that it’s been seven years since GTA 5 was released in 2013, we’re all wondering: is GTA 6 being released, and if so, when and on what consoles? Well, we answer that and a whole lot more in this article. Here’s everything you need to know about Grand Theft Auto 6, including confirmed details, rumors, and leaks.
And don’t forget to bookmark this page. We’ll keep updating it with the latest GTA 6 info.
Let’s start with the biggest rumor/leak that we've seen over the last year:
The “Next GRAND THEFT AUTO TITLE Details (Project Americas)” leak posted on Reddit by user JackOLantern1982.
It appears JackOLantern1982 deleted their Reddit account along with the contents of the post. Luckily, we saved the information. This Reddit user claimed to know around 23 "facts" about the latest GTA game and noted that Rockstar Games is calling the next GTA “Project Americas.”
Here are the main points (the italicized text) from the original Reddit post along with our commentary:
- Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro.
For those who are unfamiliar with previous GTA titles, Vice City was the city that players played in during GTA Vice City, which was released in 2002. This was widely considered one of the best GTA titles of all time. Bringing Vice City back would make fans super happy. The other part of this leak is that the next GTA installment is going to be set across multiple regions. One of them is a city based on Rio De Janeiro, which would be the first time we would be playing in a tropical city.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named "Ricardo". Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new largely South American area before making connections with big-time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities.
Relating back to the multiple cities concept, this rumor notes that we are going to be drug smuggling throughout multiple cities. We suspect this will happen during the beginning of the game’s story.
- Will feature a '”CHAPTER” system similar to a Tarantino flick or RDR2 [Red Dead Redemption 2].
This is perhaps the most realistic leak that this Reddit user detailed. The chapter system was one of the best components of Red Dead Redemption 2’s story as it made it easier to follow.
Below are the rest of the claims from JackOLantern1982's Reddit post. Take everything with a grain of salt.
- The next GTA title has been in development since 2012, but production didn't begin properly until 2015, but even then the team was focusing more on Red Dead Redemption 2.
- It's another Rockstar Worldwide Production.
- Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
- Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro.
- Some linear missions take place in Liberty City, but it isn't an open world (think Ludendorff in GTA 5).
- Game will balance realism and arcade and it won't be as realistic as Red Dead Redemption 2.
- One playable protagonist: male, not female, despite supposed leaks.
- Set in 1970s-1980s.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named "Ricardo". Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities.
- There will also be a giant prison which will play a part in the game.
- Will feature a 'chapter' system similar to a Tarantino flick or Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Weather is a heavy focus (hurricanes, floods, etc).
- Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy.
- Heavily inspired by Netflix's Narcos.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack.
- A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. Think the GTA Online system and dial it up to 10.
- You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket, like Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Your personal vehicle will be like your horse saddle in Red Dead Redemption 2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. You also store your body armor in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts, very immersive, like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you're in South America, don't expect to hear much English. Vice City, however, is a mix of everything, but mostly English.
- Last bit of narrative info, it will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc.
- Next-gen only, not PS4 or Xbox One [aka PS5 and Xbox Project Scarlett].
- GTA 6 is now their primary focus, alongside another title (which might be Bully 2).
- Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
- No ETA on a release date.
When is Grand Theft Auto 6 coming out?
We wish we could say that the Grand Theft Auto 6 release date will be sometime during the holiday season of 2020, but we highly doubt this will happen. It’s rare that Rockstar Games announces a new title and releases it during the same year. There’s typically at least a year in between the announcement and release date to stir up excitement among fans.
The Gaming Bolt interviewed one of the most respected gaming reporters and analysts Michael Pachter. Referring to GTA6, Pachter said:
“I say it comes out after 2022. Remember, Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out eight years after the first one- so the idea that GTA 6 comes out before 2021 seems ridiculous. And Rockstar, the only announcements they’ve ever made more than a year before launch was because the launch itself was delayed. So best case, GTA 6 gets announced in 2020 for a 2021 release.”
Steven Ogg, who voice acts Trevor, one of the main characters from GTA 5, also said at the Brasil Game Show that GTA 6 would come out “soon” and that “games take 7-8 years to make, do the math.”
Based on this information, it seems more likely we will get some sort of announcement within the next year or two, and at the latest, we see a release for 2022.
Steven Ogg reportedly said at the Brasil Game Show that GTA 6 would come out "soon." He also noted that "games take 7-8 years to make, do the math".— GTA 6 News (@GTA6Intel) October 18, 2019
Considering GTA 5 arrived in 2013, it looks like GTA 6 will launch in either 2020 or 2021.
Please remain skeptical, however.
Is there A GTA 6 trailer or teaser yet?
No. Rockstar Games is one of the few developers who are exceptional at keeping their information a secret. If there was a GTA 6 trailer or teaser image, the internet would be talking about it non-stop. When the trailer and teaser image finally drops, you can bet we’ll share them here.
Will GTA 6 be a PS5 exclusive?
Another circulating rumor has been regarding the platforms that GTA 6 will release on when it actually comes out worldwide. In a rumor that was originally reported by The Express and further reported by other publications, it was said that Sony paid Rockstar Games to get exclusive rights for GTA 6 for one month when the game releases. After that one month, the game would release across other platforms worldwide.
It turns out that this rumor has now been debunked according to Express, which is a sigh of relief to PC and Xbox fans. We’ll have to wait and see what consoles it does eventually release on.
What consoles will GTA 6 be on?
Since it’s almost certain GTA 6 will release this year, it seems Rockstar Games may be delaying the game until the next generation consoles release. We already know both the Sony PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X are releasing later this year. The Xbox Series X was the star at the recently held Game Awards 2019. And along with Sony’s PS5, these could be the two consoles that showcase GTA 6 upon its release.
Based on what Microsoft and Sony have detailed about their upcoming consoles, both are said to be playable at 120 FPS, which is more than what most PC gamers get during a GTA game. So the chance of these two games being released on the next-gen consoles is 100% going to happen if we’re betting.
Much like how Rockstar Games handled GTA 5’s release, we'll more than likely see a release for both current and last-gen consoles. Meaning that the Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4, and PS5 will probably see the release of GTA 6.
Will GTA 6 be available for PC?
PC is arguably where GTA is best played on, with the ability to access mods while playing the game. We have not seen a launch where a GTA title releases simultaneously with the console iterations. So whenever GTA 6 releases, be aware that it may be a few months before PC players are able to access it. We fully suspect it will come to PC.
Remember the "Project Americas" rumor that GTA 6 will be set in Vice City along with a brand new area that has been in development for quite some time now? Well, this next leak we are going to talk about seems to be the biggest stretch. According to Comic Book, players will be able to travel between all of the cities we have played in during other GTA titles. This includes Vice City, Liberty City, and the most recent setting for a GTA title, Los Santos.
Much like the first leak, this leak claims the character you play during the story mode of GTA 6 will start off as a small-time drug smuggler between cities. As the story progresses, you end up joining some sort of higher tier gang. This one sounds like the most out-there rumor to be posted online. We'll have to wait and see if we are even going to return to one city let alone all three.
Fireden leaks and rumors
There was also this set of leaks and rumors posted on Fireden that appears to be deleted but was recorded by Gamesradar:
- The game is set in modern-day Liberty City.
- The beginning of the game is reminiscent of The Wire.
- Police officers are trying to crack down on a gang/drug ring based around a nightclub.
- There are four main characters, two police and two gang members.
- The plot then twists and goes to upstate New York, where it becomes more crime noir, think Ozark and Breaking Bad.
- It will have twice the amount of dialogue as GTA 5 and a really crazy plot twist.
- The main storyline splits after a while, the criminal side has sort of a sandbox build-a-crime-empire thing (Fallout 4 meets the Sims), while the police side is more of a traditional action game with a little twist of LA Noire.
- Earliest release is holiday 2021, but I would guess later, 2022 or 2023.
All the leaks and rumors we have talked about so far note the story mode will be centered around a drug smuggling scenario. In contrast to the other leaks and rumors, this rumor states GTA 6 will take place in Liberty City, the New York City-based home of GTA 4.
What has Rockstar said about GTA 6?
Rockstar Games has been silent about the next GTA as they usually are for their titles. However, Rockstar North’s former President, Leslie Benzies, said the following in a 2013 interview with MCV/DEVELOP:
“We’ve got about 45 years worth of ideas we want to do. We don’t know what GTA VI will be, but we’ve got some ideas. GTA Online is the focus right now. There ain’t no rest between finishing V and then Online. Plus we have some other things – stuff, DLC, I don’t know how to describe it exactly – that we’d like to do, and we’ll pick the right ones.”
“Where is it going to be set is the first question. Then that defines the missions; you’re doing different things in LA than in New York or Miami. The map and story get worked up together, and the story is a basic flow of how it works out so you can layer the missions in.”
That’s about the most information about an upcoming game we have ever seen from a Rockstar employee.
Rockstar job listings
This was one of the more recent leaks that fans spotted on the internet during 2019. Rockstar Leeds posted this job listing for an Environment Artist. The role is described as "creating and texturing environment assets for the biggest and best open-world environment in the industry." The listing also says, “Join our team to create next-generation worlds,” which we can assume refers to the next-generation consoles coming later this year.
Of course, this is just one of many job listings Rockstar Games posted throughout last year that may also be related to some aspect of GTA 6. They posted jobs for everything from programmer to artist over the last year, and we expect them to keep hiring.
New banner in front of Rockstar North
An image captured by a walking pedestrian and posted by mrweeks19 on Reddit saw the removal of the Red Dead Redemption 2 banner that has been on display in the front of Rockstar Games North offices since the game's initial announcement. The Hollywood game office is one of Rockstar’s main development offices. With Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out less than a year ago, what could this mean?
Before the Red Dead Redemption 2 banner was on display, Rockstar Games displayed a GTA 5 banner. Unless Rockstar is moving offices, it seems there may be something in the works for Rockstar.
Could it be GTA 6 or Bully 2?
We're obviously hoping for GTA 6, but there may be more of a case for Bully 2 after some images found in the new GTA 5 update.
Another report that gathered a lot of attraction at the time was a video made by The Know. They support the "Project Americas" theory that we'll be traveling between Vice City and somewhere in Brazil, and we will be a part of some drug-smuggling gang.
Rockstar Games has never featured a female lead in any of the GTA games. Fans, including us, have been wondering when this is going to change. Back in 2013, Rockstar Games co-founder and lead writer for the GTA series, Dan Houser, said this to The Guardian when talking about a female character for GTA 5 and the prospect of having one in future games:
We didn’t really think about it this time. That’s not to say that we couldn’t or we wouldn’t. This character set is just what came to us: it wasn’t, ‘we’ve got X and Y so we need Z’, we weren’t trying to do it off a checklist – I don’t think that will ever give you something that’s believable or engaging. In the future, could we do a game with a lead female character? Of course. We just haven't found the right game for it yet, but it's one of the things that we always think about. It didn't feel natural for this game but definitely for the right game in the future – with the right themes, it could be fantastic. But for GTA V, this was the organic thing that came up, these were the characters what would display the themes we wanted to think about.
Will CJ be in GTA 6?
Carl “CJ” Johnson is one of the most beloved stars from the GTA franchise. Voice actor Chris Bellard played the iconic character during 2004's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Of course, fans were circulating rumors that the actor and character would once again make an appearance in the latest GTA title.
The rumors went so far that during the Brazil Game Show, GTA 5 voice actor Shawn Fonteno said this:
“Well, I don’t know if everybody knows but Young Maylay is my real cousin in real life and he played the character CJ. But me and him we have something coming up. I just can’t talk about it right now. We might be bringing CJ back, I just can’t say.”
But according to this Instagram post by MayLay, it appears the hopes of having the same CJ in GTA 6 is now completely gone.
This does not mean that there will not be a CJ in GTA 6, it just means it will not be the same actor.
What do you think of all the GTA 6 leaks and rumors?
Let us know in the comments section below!
Top image via Dexerto
This article was written by Nick Farrell, an experienced journalist who aims to provide insightful and proactive articles daily.