What Is FaZe Clan?
FaZe Clan is the world’s most popular professional gaming and esports organization. Since its debut as a Call of Duty clan in 2010, FaZe has expanded its roster to include over 70 professional gamers and content creators focusing on titles ranging from Fortnite, Call of Duty, CSGO, and PUBG, to Valorant, Rainbow Six Siege, and FIFA. Known for its disruptive original content and hyper-loyal fanbase, FaZe Clan counts celebrities such as NFL star JuJu Smith-Schuster and musicians Offset and Lil Yachty among its ranks. As gaming enters the mainstream, FaZe Clan is leading the charge.
And with that, here's everything you need to know about FaZe Clan:
Table of Contents:
Owners, CEO, and President
How To Join
Partners and Sponsors
G FUEL Flavors
Collaborations and Pop-ups
Trivia and Fun Facts
Website and Social Media
On May 30, 2010, FaZe Clan got its start as FaZe Sniping, a YouTube channel showcasing the Call of Duty skills of founders Eric “CLipZ” Rivera, Jeff “Timid” Emann, and Ben “Resistance” Christensen. Over the years, members of FaZe would come and go, but FaZe’s prominence within the gaming scene steadily rose. Richard “Banks” Bengston joined FaZe Clan in 2013, giving the organization another boost in popularity as it began to incorporate lifestyle content into its gaming videos.
FaZe took its next step in late 2018, when it invited investors to contribute to its first round of venture capital financing. And invest they did. Drawn by FaZe’s strong branding and established history as a homegrown gaming crew, a swarm of notable investors converged upon FaZe, including the following celebrities:
- Jimmy Iovine
- Swae Lee
- Yo Gotti
- Big Boy
- Guy Oseary
- Sylvia Rhone
- Troy Carter
- DJ Paul
- Chris O’Donnell
- Josh Hart
- Jamal Murray
Owners, CEO, and President
Of the star-studded list of investors above, Jimmy Iovine and Offset are co-owners of FaZe Clan. Other co-owners include FaZe members Thomas “Temperrr” Oliveira, Yousef “Apex” Abdelfattah, Nordan “Rain” Shat, Brian “Rug” Awadis, Richard “Banks” Bengston, and Alexander “Adapt” Hamilton. The FaZe Clan CEO is Lee Trink, and its president is Greg Selkoe.
The FaZe Clan logo has been in use since 2010, undergoing various tweaks and modifications in the years since its introduction. It was conceptualized by FaZe Temperrr and designed by former FaZe graphic designer Joey “Ferox” Ricciuto. Its shape comes from the overlapping letters F (reversed) and C, representing the organization’s initials, and some believe its colors represent some team members’ nations of origin.
A number of FaZe members reside in the FaZe Clan House, a sprawling mansion in Burbank, California. It’s the latest of several megamansions that have served as FaZe headquarters; the team moved in in April of 2020 after previously occupying another home in the Hollywood Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles.
With a gym, a games room, and a swimming pool, the house is a gamer and content creator’s dream come true. FaZe is paying a premium for the house’s 10 bedrooms and 16 bathrooms, reportedly shelling out $80,000 a month in rent. Residents of the house include Banks, Adapt, Kay, Jarvis, Rug, Teeqo, Cizzorz, Temperr, TeaWap, and Brandon.
Check out the video below for a tour of the current FaZe Clan House:
Members, Rosters, and Content Creators
FaZe Clan has over 70 members, a mix of professional gamers, esports players, and content creators. Check out their star-studded rosters below!
- rain (CS)
- YNk (Coach)
- Tassal "Tass" Rushan
- Phatanasak "JubJub" Varanan
- Sorawit "Michael04" Rotjanasinlapin
- Teedech "TDKeane" Songsaisakul
- Nate Hill
- FaZe Martoz
- DestinysJesus (Coach)
- Didz (Coach)
- MaFia (Coach)
Rainbow Six Roster
- Sn4rFx (Coach)
- Ramalho (Coach)
- Corey "Corey" Nigra
- Zachary "ZachaREEE" Lombardo
- Jimmy "Marved" Nguyen
- Andrej "babybay" Francisty
Atlanta FaZe (CoD) Roster
- NoisyButters (Content Creator)
- Crowder (Coach)
How To Join FaZe Clan
With its $240 million valuation and star-studded roster, it’s no surprise that FaZe Clan is one of the most desirable esports organizations for up-and-coming pro gamers and influencers. At the moment, FaZe supports 85 gamers and content creators, but the team is constantly on the hunt for new and inspiring talent to help push FaZe to new heights. So how do you get in?
Fortunately, we’ve got some insights. Earlier this year, FaZe Clan director of talent Vera Salamone and head of esports Erik Anderson spoke to Business Insider in order to explain the organization’s recruitment process. Here are some of the big takeaways:
- Gaming skill is tantamount. "I'm looking for the best regardless of any background or where you come from," Anderson told Business Insider.
- The process varies by game. For more long-running esports titles such as Call of Duty, FaZe looks to recruit tried-and-true talent—but for newer games like Fortnite, skilled online players are on equal footing with established pros.
- Passion matters more than clout. While it certainly can’t hurt for a prospective FaZe member to have a built-in following, a truly dedicated and skilled gamer will beat out a less passionate rival any day, even one with more followers on social media.
- You can be a content creator or a competitor. FaZe signs two types of members: high-level professional gamers and entertaining content creators. If your reaction time isn’t good enough to make it into the Call of Duty League, don’t fret—you can become a content creator instead!
Partners and Sponsors
FaZe Clan is partnered with a number of well-known companies and brands, including:
- G FUEL, The Official Energy Drink of Esports®. If you’re on this website, you probably recognize this one. The partnership between FaZe and G FUEL is one of the longest-running in esports. G FUEL has been a FaZe sponsor since 2012, and at this point it would be difficult to separate the identities of the top-level gaming org and the deliciously energizing energy drink—particularly when FaZe’s custom flavors taste so good.
- Scuf Gaming. Scuf Gaming manufactures stylish custom controllers for a variety of consoles and gaming needs. Since 2013, Scuf has partnered with FaZe Clan, selling FaZe-branded controllers and providing custom hardware to many members of FaZe’s competitive teams.
- SteelSeries. Since 2018, FaZe Clan has partnered with this top-of-the-line Danish gaming accessory manufacturer. SteelSeries offers a line of FaZe-branded peripherals, including a classy mousepad emblazoned with the FaZe Clan logo.
- Nissan. Nissan and FaZe Clan have been partners since 2019. By dipping its toe into esports for the first time in this historic partnership, the Japanese automobile manufacturer indicated its interest in bringing the next generation of drivers from their gaming chairs into the driver’s seat.
- HTC Gaming. HTC Gaming is the gaming division of HTC, the Taiwanese consumer electronics firm. Though HTC has been involved in the gaming scene for a while, it kicked its involvement up to the next notch by partnering with FaZe Clan in 2019. Keep an eye out for HTC’s virtual reality technology on FaZe Clan streams!
- Wix. Wix became FaZe Clan’s official web site development and design partner in 2019. The company offers cloud-based development services to individuals looking to build their websites.
- Manchester City. In 2019, FaZe Clan announced a partnership with Manchester City, the storied English association football club competing in England’s Premier League. The organizations have already begun bridging the gap between traditional and electronic sports with a very dope collaborative jacket.
- The NFL. Earlier this year, FaZe Clan announced its second collaboration with a major force in traditional sports: the NFL. To promote the NFL draft, FaZe Clan and the NFL worked together to sell a unique line of merchandise—and host a crossover “Draft-A-Thon” watch party live stream.
- Beats. On May 29, 2020, Beats by Dr. Dre announced four new colors of its Powerbeats Pro wireless earphones in collaboration with FaZe Clan.
FaZe Clan has a whopping seven custom G FUEL flavors. Try them all!
- Battle Juice. This flavor adds some pizzazz to the classic pineapple taste.
- FaZeberry. With notes of pomegranate, acai, and strawberry, this popular and first-ever FaZe Clan-inspired G FUEL flavor comes in a tub, cans, and Hydration formula form.
- Ragin’ Gummy Fish. Taking inspiration from the gummy red fish candies we all know and love, this flavor is the brainchild of FaZe Jev—and this writer’s personal favorite. This flavor also comes in cans.
- Sour Blue Chug Rug. If you’ve ever wanted to taste both sour and blue at the same time, this flavor is for you. Is it blueberry? Is it raspberry? Who cares—it’s sour blue! This flavor also comes in cans.
- Sour FaZeberry. For those of us who need an extra kick to our FaZeberry, there’s Sour FaZeberry. It's the same delicious pomegranate-acai-blueberry flavor, but with a tongue-shocking blast of sourness.
- Strawberry Shortcake. This flavor originated as a way to make fun of FaZe Apex’s height—but it tastes pretty dang good. Mix it with milk for the ultimate blast of Strawberry Shortcake flavor.
- Tropical Rain. This ain’t your usual rain. Inspired by FaZe Rain, Tropical Rain uses a secret blend of tropical fruits to create a one-of-a-kind taste.
We’d be remiss not to mention FaZe Clan’s popular merchandise line. There are dozens of different items in FaZe's online shop—here are some of our favorites:
- Classy graphic t-shirts
- FaZe-branded sweatshirts and hoodies
- Joggers and shorts
- Accessories, including duffel bags, dad caps, and a sweet foam finger
Navigate to FaZe’s shop for an up-to-date list of all available merchandise—then come back here for your Sour FaZe G FUEL shaker cup!
Collaborations and Pop-up Shops
Aside from its brand partnerships, FaZe Clan has collaborated with a number of companies and individuals to bring the FaZe magic to one-off events or merchandise sales. Other examples of FaZe’s pop-up shop collaboration events include collabs with Kappa, CLOT, Love Sac, Lyrical Lemonade, Juice WRLD, and of course, G FUEL.
Tomorrow at the FaZe Arcade:— FaZe Clan (@FaZeClan) November 22, 2019
FaZe Clan x Clot
Meet & Greet with Edison Chen
📍 7312 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles CA pic.twitter.com/NtbWOvTzNm
FaZe Clan x Juice WRLD, The Collection is now available for pre-order— FaZe Clan (@FaZeClan) July 6, 2020
All pieces are bundled with a Digital Copy of @JuiceWorlddd's upcoming album release 'Legends Never Die'https://t.co/kHIltDF5SR | #LongLiveJuiceWRLD pic.twitter.com/tk5xYfhwLI
Yo yo yooo! We are STILL HERE at the @FaZeClan VS. The World pop up in Manhattan!— G FUEL® (@GFuelEnergy) July 26, 2019
If you’re here, come through and cop some FaZe merch & our coveted FaZeBerry #GFUELCAN!!!
👉 @stadiumgoods 👈
👉 @stadiumgoods 👈
👉 @stadiumgoods 👈 pic.twitter.com/Ue9mVmlicz
4 KINGS 👑👑👑👑 1 SCREEN 📺 pic.twitter.com/hzKqP7eBQO— G FUEL® (@GFuelEnergy) September 13, 2019
Charity is a significant part of FaZe Clan’s mission. Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, FaZe has been involved in multiple initiatives to raise funds for coronavirus treatment and research, including holding a star-studded #Fight2Fund charity gaming event.
Together with you, Week 1 of #Fight2Fund totaled a final of nearly $50,000 going directly to COVID-19 related efforts at @age_uk & @save_children, via our winner @Vikkstar123!— FaZe Clan (@FaZeClan) March 20, 2020
Week 2 runs this Monday the 23rd. Who do you want to see play this time? Tag 'em. #FaZeUp pic.twitter.com/kmrx4W0h69
Perhaps the highest-profile FaZe charity event was the Draft-A-Thon that Faze held in conjunction with the NFL in April 2020. All donations from the event went towards COVID-19 relief, with Faze paying tribute to first responders and healthcare providers over the course of the live-stream.
This April 23rd, we're collaborating with the @NFL to participate in the first Draft-A-Thon fundraiser for the virtual 2020 NFL Draft 👊— FaZe Clan (@FaZeClan) April 18, 2020
We're also releasing an exclusive @NFL x FaZe Clan Merch drop...
More details coming soon! #FaZeUp pic.twitter.com/KRpwikzZqQ
Trivia and Fun Facts
- Of the three original FaZe Clan founders, only CLipZ remains a member of Faze today.
- The second-most senior FaZe Clan member is Temperrr, who joined only two months after FaZe was founded.
- In 2019, FaZe Clan signed its first female member: Soleil “Ewok” Wheeler, an amazing 14-year-old deaf Fortnite streamer.
- The esports organization Red Reserve actually began as a subdivision of FaZe Clan, breaking off in 2016 before dissolving in 2019.
- FaZe now runs a film production company known as FaZe Studios. Keep an eye out for FaZe-related movies and television shows as the company gets off the ground!
- FaZe Clan is releasing a movie titled "FaZe Clan Universe" later in 2020, starring FaZe talent. Read all about it on The Verge.
Website and Social Media
- Website: https://fazeclan.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFaZeClan
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fazeclan/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/faze-clan/
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@fazeclan
- Twitch: https://twitch.tv/faze
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/FaZeClan
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/FaZeClan
This article was written by Alexander Lee, an editor, freelance writer, and esports connoisseur based in New York City. Follow him on Twitter @alexleewastaken, and check out more of his work on his website www.alexlee.work.